Last week, I attended NYC Interns Hash It Up, The Finale at Meetup HQ, sponsored by Hashable and Zaarly, in partnership with NY Creative Interns. As the last Hashable meetup of the summer, they invited a few special speakers:
- Dina Kaplan, co-founder of Blip.tv, shared some of the lessons she learned from working at places like MTV and WNBC. A few things that stuck with me were to:
- Trust your instincts
- Value and keep track of interesting people you meet
- Focus on your product but make time to attend meetups
- Help people and don’t be afraid to ask for help
- Take chances
- Jaime Hoerbelt, Managing Editor at NY Creative Interns, also provided some helpful advice. She suggested getting involved early, even if you don’t feel ready. Taking the first leap is a crucial part of one’s growth.
- Christina Cacioppo, an analyst at Union Square Ventures, emphasized two things:
- Make decisions
- Figure out what you want to do, and do it
After the meetups that I have attended this summer and my experience interning at a PR agency thus far, I’m happy to say that I followed through with many of the statements above. In a PR agency particularly, I learned that making decisions, taking calculated risks and, most importantly, maintaining solid relationships are the keys to success.
In public relations, every client, coworker, blogger or journalist should be a relationship that we take care of and take the time to develop, as every relationship leads to another, completely different one. These meetups introduced me to a lot of wonderful, talented people, and while the summer events are ending, I think it’s safe to say that the relationships have only just begun.
blog comments powered by Disqus