They’re all around us, and yes, I consider myself one. A geek.
But the negative connotation around the term is now long gone. Some of the most successful and famous people in the world identify with “geekologie,” so next time you use the word in a condescending way, think twice. That “geek” might just be 6’8” and 250 pounds (see LeBron James)
Image via the Wall Street Journal’s recent article: Fashion Plates of the NBA Make Specs of Themselves
Here are five reasons “geek is chic.”
1. Using your iPhone to make believe you are actually a good photographer boosts self-esteem!
Here are some apps to help you feel happy:
- Camera+: This app enhances your pics
- Fuzel: Know those cool split screen pics? This app has dozens of options in terms of templates for you to geek out as much as you want.
- Kicksend: I know you have tons of images on your phone… Why not send a group of pics from the last concert you attended all in one batch?! That is where Kicksend comes in! Send your photos and videos in batches in with this user-friendly app.
2. Geeky glasses happen to be very cool, stylish to say the least, and a great business opportunity. Just ask Warby Parker, or the person wearing the same Warby Parker frames as you at the next party you go to.
3. Geek-lebrities know how to make that paper! Apple, Instagram, Microsoft, Facebook, Twitter and so on and so forth… all founded by “geeks.” I’m not sure they look geeky on their yachts, but that is just me. Not to mention, those guys in the above picture… #ballers
4. Nostalgia and geekdom sells: Everyone who knows me knows how I feel about the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, a retro comic book, cartoon and movie phenomenon from the 1980s and 1990s. Mirage Studios sold the property to Nickelodeon for $60 million in late ‘09, after 25 successful years of “Turtle Power.” Look at the recent releases of Batman, Captain America, The Avengers, etc… Retro action heroes who once only appealed to kids and “geeks,” are now for the masses, and they love them.
5. Geeks aren’t necessarily hipsters: I have nothing against hipsters, and love many of hipsters, but don’t get it twisted!